Are you addicted to coding and solving complex problems? Come to the 3rd Annual BSC/UPC HPC Hackathon and test your problem solving skills. In this competition, you will be asked to think elegant and efficient solutions for challenging problems. Time will be your most important enemy, as you struggle to solve as many problems as possible in a limited time.
To participate, you will need good coding skills, primarily in C and shell, but knowledge in other programming languages such as C++ and python is recommended. You should also be familiar with version control systems, such as git and mercurial, and have a good knowledge on Unix systems. You will be asked to solve problems in three different topics: GPU/FPGA Computing, Parallel Programming and Software Security. You will be given access to high-end machines with last generation technology and high speed network. We will also provide you with food and beverages so that you can focus on coding.
The hackathon will take place on Friday 30 of November, at the UPC Campus Nord – C6-E101 Room, at 10h. A jury will evaluate the participants and the winners will take home nice prizes.
- The official language for the third annual BSC/UPC HPC Hackathon is English.
- There are three different main topics:
- Accelerated Computing
- Parallel Programming
- Software Security
- All the code produced during the event by the participants will be BSD licensed.
- The code presented to you may be property of BSC and/or UPC and subject to closed-source restrictions.
- Participants will commit their code in a git repository set up by the organizers.
- The code produced will be evaluated on 4 points : performance, effectiveness, quality and speed
- Participants should code and comment their code in English.
- Participants should bring their own laptop with a Unix system installed (no particular hardware is needed – you will be accessing our GPU-equipped cluster via ssh).
- Required: Git, C, C++, Python, Unix, shell, bash, openMP, CUDA or openACC.
- Optional*: MPI, OmpSS.
* You will deal with problems in which knowledge of one or more of these programming languages will be valuable. The more you know, the more problems you will be able to solve! But don’t worry – we do not expect everyone to know everything, so you’ll have plenty of tasks to choose from!
The Third Annual BSC/UPC HPC Hackathon start on Friday 30 of November 2018 at 10h.
The event will last for 9 hours, scheduled as follows:
- 10:00 – 10:30 => Welcome message
- 10:30 – 11:00 => Challenge and rules
- 11:00 – 18:00 => Hackathon Coding
- 18:00 – 18:30 => Relax time
- 18:30 – 19:00 => Winners announcement
Food and beverages will be available for the participants during the event.
- Website: https://hackathon.bsc.es/
- When: Friday 30 November 2018, at 10:00.
- Where: UPC Campus Nord – C6-E101 Room. Barcelona, Spain
- Free registration: http:/
/ hackathon.bsc.es/ registration
Participation is not guaranteed. The committee will select the participants (40).