COURSE AND WORKSHOP ON PARALLEL NUMERICAL LINEAR ALGEBRA WITH APPLICATIONS
Sofia, March 28 – 31, 2017
The course will present state of the art topics in the development of parallel direct and iterative methods for linear systems with sparse matrices. Some dedicated hand-on sessions will take place.
- Renumbering, structure, properties, assembling;
- Mesh generation, graph model, graph partitioning;
- Hands-on session with ParMETIS.
- Elimination strategies, elimination graph, factorization, complexity;
- Parallel methods and algorithms, balancing the computations and communications;
- Hands-on session with MUMPS.
- Krylov subspace methods, convergence, parallel implementation;
- Preconditiong, algebraic multigrid (AMG), robustness, parallel scalability;
- Hands-on session with parallel AMG solvers.
The workshop will address application driven topics including but not limited to: parallel scalability of basic numericallinear algebra algorithms:
- tuning/optimization of threaded and vectorised functions;
- Intel MKL;
- parallel implementation of finite difference, finite element, finite volume, etc. mesh methods;
- balancing/overlapping the computations and communications;
- balancing sparse and dense matrices computations;
- applications in computational mechanics, biomedical and environmental engineering;
- sparse matrix applications in advanced voxel image segmentation.