The Denmark Technical University is seeking an HPC System Administrator and Supporter to help DTU continue and expand activities in HPC usage.
At the DTU Computing Center (DCC), we are looking for an experienced High-Performance Computing (HPC) System Administrator and Supporter, to help us to continue and expand our activities within enabling, disseminating and improving the usage of HPC in the research and teaching activities across DTU. This involves providing efficient, flexible and ”easy to use” HPC infrastructures with superb support, for expert as well as novice users with computational tasks covering a wide range of technical disciplines. Also, due our systems architecture, a solid understanding of Linux/UNIX based services for large scale infrastructures is needed.
Provide HPC support and services to all users at DTU
DCC is DTU’s High Performance Computing Competence Center and one of DTU’s four HPC hosting centers. Furthermore, we operate and support a range of mainly UNIX based services for all DTU students. This means we provide support and services to all users at DTU (mainly researchers and students).
This position covers a wide area of tasks which require in-depth knowledge of HPC and our many and diverse users’ needs. Thus high motivation and curiosity in solving problems is required.
DCC currently holds nine members of staff: A Systems Architect, a Tech Lead, two UNIX / HPC sysadmins, two HPC specialists, a contract coordinator, and a manager. Furthermore, we have interfaces to similar IT operations units in- and outside of DTU, our student staffed support team, and of course our users.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- HPC-user support
- Implementation and maintenance of HPC clusters and infrastructures (parallel filesystem, interconnect etc.)
- Design, implementation, operations and development of management, logging, and monitoring systems for HPC
- Development of scripts for implementing the wishes of our customer regarding HPC scheduling, reporting, job templates as well as general systems development
- Hardware debugging and vendor contact
- Documentation (end user documentation as well as internal system documentation)
In depth knowledge of HPC & solution orientated, with strong interpersonal skills
We expect the following from you:
- Understanding of and experience with parallel computations on HPC clusters
- Experience with the implementation, design and support of HPC clusters (including configuration management and deployment of systems)
- Experience with and solid knowledge of parallel file systems
- Experience with different work load managers / scheduling systems
- Programming experience (C, C++, Java, Perl, Python and shell scripting)
- IT security mindset
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement. Ability to read & understand Danish is an advantage.
As a person you are:
- Solution-oriented and helpful with respect for all tasks
- Trustful and –worthy
- Open-minded, Curious
- One who learns, performs, and gets inspired through team work with others
- Thorough in preparations, test, execution, and documentation of your work
- One that possesses strong inter-personal skills and who is inspired and finds synergies in differences in personalities, as well as cultures
An exciting and challenging environment, deeply rooted in technical skills, with complex systems architectures and infrastructures, and with large and demanding tasks, tightly coupled to the research and teaching environment at DTU. The team you become part of holds unique and strong HPC competencies and experience within many areas of HPC, and the department we are located at is Denmark’s largest and leading within applied mathematics and computer science engineering.
We are a dynamic workplace with an international and unique environment, which is under constant development, and therefore offers good possibilities for professional development through the research and teaching activities on our systems, as well as through internal or external courses, and our collaborators.
We have development plans for employees, and means are assigned to realise those in terms of courses or conferences. There is also the possibility to follow the teaching on relevant courses provided by DTU Compute.
Application and contact
Please submit your online application no later than April 29, 2016. Open the “Apply online” link, fill out the form and attach your motivated application, CV and exam certificates.
If you would like additional information about the position, please contact Head of DTU Computing Center Kristian Kristensen on +45 4525 3712 or email@example.com.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Compute conducts research and education in the fields of mathematics and computer science. The consistently expanding mass of information and the increasingly complex use of advanced technology in society demand development of advanced computer based mathematical models and calculations. The unique competences of the department are in demand in IT innovation and production.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and public service. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.