Please note that the application process for the ISC Travel Grant is currently closed and will be available from December 9, 2018.
The ISC High Performance Travel Grant Program is intended to enable one university student and one young researcher who lack funding opportunities to attend the ISC High Performance conference in June 2019.
Successful candidates are required to attend the full conference program, from Sunday 16 June through Thursday 20 June. They will be assigned a mentor, who will help them get the most out of the conference by suggesting relevant program sessions and introducing them to experts in various research fields.
Application Deadline Friday 15 February 2019
Notification of Acceptance Monday 4 March 2019
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and be either currently enrolled in a university degree program or employed at a research facility in their home country.
- If enrolled as a student, the applicant must show a keen interest in acquiring knowledge in computational or data science, and if a researcher, they must be in strong need of HPC skills to solve problems across a wide variety of compute-intense or data-intensive disciplines.
- The applicant cannot have received any past travel funding from ISC High Performance.
- The applicant must explain, in an English essay of 350 to 450 words, how this experience will benefit them and how they intend to pay it forward.
The evaluation criteria include the applicant’s need of HPC and lack of funding alternatives, the estimated cost of travel and accommodation, and how they plan to pay forward the knowledge they acquire at the conference. Naturally, applicants must also meet all the requirements listed in the “Who is Eligible to Apply” section, above.
Only complete applications made via the application form and accompanied by a letter of support from their advisor or employer, will be considered for the ISC Travel Grant by the evaluation committee. The letter of support must be printed on an official letterhead from the student’s advisor or their employer. The letter must affirm that the applicant requires funding to attend the conference, and that no other sources of funding are available.
Other background material, for example, at which stage the applicant is in their study or research, will make the application stronger.
All applicants must submit their resume or curriculum vitae, a budget that describes the requested travel expenses such as airfare (economy only), food, and other expenses necessary for attending ISC 2019 (information on “Travel & Stay” can be found here). Housing will be provided by ISC Group and the costs will be deducted from the grant to save the selected applicant the hassle of finding suitable accommodation. The maximum amount that may be requested is 1500 euros for applicants from Europe and North Africa, and 2500 euros from those from other continents. Travel costs will be refunded onsite in cash on the basis of the original receipts or booking confirmations.
Applications may be submitted from 9 December 2018 until 15 February 2019. The successful candidate will be notified on 4 March 2019, which allow them about 12 weeks to obtain their Germany visa, if necessary. After acceptance a passport photo image and the rights for using it have to be provided for marketing purposes to be eligible for the grant.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT:
ISC Travel Grant Program
Ms. Colleen Sheedy
ISC 2019 Travel Grant Committee
Applications for the ISC Travel Grant will be evaluated by the Travel Grant Committee.
- Elizabeth Leake, STEM-Trek
- Marjolein Oorsprong, PRACE
- Julian Kunkel, University of Reading
- Colleen Sheedy, ISC Group