Within the PRACE 3rd Implementation Project (PRACE-3IP) PRACE started the process for a Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) on Whole-System Design for Energy Efficient HPC. On 9 September 2014, the signing of contracts with 4 bidders launched the 1st Execution Phase of this PCP.
The process of this PCP is organised in two stages:
- Tendering stage aimed to assess the eligibility of the bidders and their offers
- Execution stage during which the selected bidders are performing the R&D services described in their offers, which in turn consists of three phases:
- Phase I (solution design; duration 6 months)
- Phase II (prototype development; duration 10 months)
- Phase III (pre-commercial small scale product development; duration 16 months)
This Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP), the first one in the field of HPC in Europe, is a multi-country and multi-partner joint effort, implemented by a consortium composed of several partners of PRACE (CINECA (Italy) as Procuring Entity with CSC (Finland), EPCC (UK), JSC (Germany) and GENCI (France)). PRACE aisbl is involved as an advisory body in a Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) pilot executed in the context of PRACE’s 3rd Implementation Project (PRACE-3IP).
Four bidders have signed the Framework Contract and Phase I Contract:
- BULL SAS (www.bull.com/)
- E4 Computer Engineering SpA (www.e4company.com/)
- MEGWARE Computer Vertrieb Services GmbH (www.megware.com)
- Maxeler Technologies Limited (www.maxeler.com/)
Following this agreement, the selected bidders will perform the first phase of the Pre-Commercial Procurement process, which is expected to end in March 2015.
Read more about the tender process here: www.prace-ri.eu/