Information on the Call for Proposals for PRACE Preparatory Access.
Subscribe to PRACE updates here.
CET / CEST
- Type A: this scheme is intended to produce scalability plots of the performance of the codes on PRACE HPC systems, as well as other parameters that may be relevant to apply for PRACE calls for Project Access. The maximum duration of Type A projects is 2 months. To apply, go here
- Type B: the objective of this scheme is to undertake code development and optimisation. Applicants will need to describe the proposed work plan in detail, including the human resources and expertise available to implement the project. The maximum duration of Type B projects is 6 months. To apply, go here
- Type C: in this scheme, PRACE experts are requested to provide the necessary support to undertake adaptations (development and optimisation) to the codes of PRACE users. The maximum support that can be requested is the equivalent to 6 person-months of effort. The maximum duration of Type C projects is 6 months. To apply, go here
- Type D: this scheme allows PRACE users to start a code adaption and optimisation process on a PRACE Tier-1 system. PRACE experts help in the system selection process. In addition to Tier-1 computing time, the PRACE user will also receive Tier-0 computing time towards the end of the project (inform of the Type A scheme) to test the scalability improvements. The work is supported by PRACE experts. The maximum support that can be requested is the equivalent to 6 person-months of effort. The maximum duration of Type D projects is 12 months. To apply, go here
The Call for Proposals for PRACE Preparatory Access Type A and Type B schemes is a continuously open call, with a maximum time-to-resources-access (start-date) of two weeks after the date of submission.
Requests for Type C and D scheme are evaluated and granted on a quarterly schedule, with cut-offs for evaluations to be set at 11:00 AM CEST / CET of the first working day of March, June, September and December. Awarded proposals for Type C will have a maximum time-to-resources-access (start date) of two months after the relevant cut-off date.
The next cut-off date for Preparatory Access Type C and D proposals:
- 1 March 2019 – 11:00 AM CET
The following table shows PRACE HPC Tier-0 systems and their current availability for Preparatory Access:
|System||Architecture||Site (Country)||Type A||Type B||Type C|
|Joliot Curie – SKL||BULL Sequana X1000||GENCI@CEA (FR)||√||√||√|
|Joliot Curie – KNL||BULL Sequana X1000||GENCI@CEA (FR)||√||√||√|
|JUWELS||BULL Sequana X1000||GCS@JSC (DE)||√||√||√|
|Marconi-Broadwell||Lenovo System||CINECA (IT)||√||√||√|
|Marconi-KNL||Lenovo System||CINECA (IT)||√||√||√|
|MareNostrum||Lenovo System||BSC (ES)||√||√||√|
|Piz Daint||Cray XC50 System||ETH Zurich / CSCS (CH)||√||√|
|SuperMUC-NG*||Lenovo ThinkSystem||GCS@LRZ (DE)||√||√||√|
* SuperMUC-NG will start operation in Q1/2019
The following table lists the PRACE Tier-1 HPC systems, which are available in the context of Preparatory Access Type D. The specific system will be selected by PRACE, but applicants can specify preferences:
|ARCHER, hosted by EPCC, (United Kingdom)||Cray XC30|
|ARIS, hosted by GRNET, (Greece)||Lenovo NextScale|
|Bem, hosted by WCSS, (Poland)||Haswell based Cluster|
|Beskow, hosted by KTH-PDC, (Sweden)||Cray XC40|
|Cartesius, hosted by SURFsara, (Netherlands)||Bull Bullx B720/B710|
|CY-TERA, hosted by CaSToRC, (Cyprus)||IBM System X iDataplex|
|GALILEO, hosted by CINECA, (Italy)||Lenovo NextScale|
|Salomon, hosted by VSB-TUO at IT4I, (Czech Republic)||SGI ICE-X|
|Sisu, hosted by CSC, (Finland)||Cray XC40|
The indicative schedule of the PRACE Calls for Proposals for Preparatory Access is as follows:
|Action||Types A & B||Type C and D|
|Proposal submission||Continuously open||Quarterly cut off dates
1st working day of the quarter
(March; July; September; December)
|Administrative validation||working days after submission||2 working days after the cut-off date|
|Review of proposals & decision||Up to 2 weeks after submission||Up to 2 months after submission|
|Access start date||Up to 2-3 weeks after submission||Access is provided starting approx. 45-60 calendar days after the cut-off date.
Please note that access of the December cut-off date may be slightly delayed due to Christmas break
The process to access resources after the communication of the decision on allocation is two-fold:
- Awardees are asked to confirm their availability and readiness to use the awarded resources during the stated period of time
- Access is provided after receipt of a positive reply
The allocation decision, including the type of access, start/end dates, duration and the resources awarded is not open for negotiation.
As detailed in the Terms of Reference of the Call for Proposals for Preparatory Access, “the award of Preparatory Access proposals of Types A, B, C and D is limited by the amount of resources available. For type C and D, there are also limitations regarding the availability of the support from experts (in terms of staff hours) and the type of expertise required.”
In case of oversubscription of a particular resource, resources will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to suitable proposals based on the submission date until the resources are exhausted.
Subscribe to PRACE updates here.