Information on the Call for Proposals for PRACE Preparatory Access.
CET / CEST
- Type A: this scheme is intended to produce scalability plots of the performance of the codes on PRACE HPC systems, as well as other parameters that may be relevant to apply for PRACE calls for Project Access. The maximum duration of Type A projects is 2 months.
- Type B: the objective of this scheme is to undertake code development and optimisation. Applicants will need to describe the proposed work plan in detail, including the human resources and expertise available to implement the project. The maximum duration of Type B projects is 6 months.
- Type C: in this scheme, PRACE experts are requested to provide the necessary support to undertake adaptations (development and optimisation) to the codes of PRACE users. The maximum support that can be requested is the equivalent to 6 person-months of effort. The maximum duration of Type C projects is 6 months.
The Call for Proposals for PRACE Preparatory Access Type A and Type B schemes is a continuously open call, with a maximum time-to-resources-access (start-date) of two weeks after the date of submission.
Requests for Type C scheme are evaluated and granted on a quarterly schedule, with cut-offs for evaluations to be set at 11:00 AM CEST / CET of the first working day of March, June, September and December. Awarded proposals for Type C will have a maximum time-to-resources-access (start date) of two months after the relevant cut-off date.
The next cut-off date for Preparatory Access Type C proposals:
- 9th December 2016 (11:00 CET) – 27th cut-off date – extended to 15 December 2016 (11:00 CET)
The following table shows PRACE HPC Tier-0 systems and their current availability for Preparatory Access:
|Tier-0 system||Architecture||Type A||Type B||Type C|
|Curie, hosted by GENCI at CEA|
|Bull Bullx Cluster||√||√||√|
|Hazel Hen, hosted by GCS at HLRS|
|JUQUEEN, hosted by GCS at JSC|
|Marconi, hosted by CINECA|
|MareNostrum, hosted by BSC|
|IBM System X iDataplex||√||√||√|
|Piz Daint, hosted by CSCS|
|Cray XC30 System||√||√||√|
|SuperMUC, hosted by GCS at LRZ|
|IBM System X iDataplex||√||√||√|
The indicative schedule of the PRACE Calls for Proposals for Preparatory Access is as follows:
|action||Types A & B||Type C|
|Proposal submission||Continuously open||Quarterly cut off dates|
1st working day of the quarter
(March; July; September; December)
|Administrative validation||working days after submission||2 working days after the cut-off date|
|Review of proposals & decision||Up to 2 weeks after submission||Up to 2 months after submission|
|Access start date||Up to 2-3 weeks after submission||Access is provided starting approx. 45-60 calendar days after the cut-off date.|
Please note that access of the December cut-off date may be slightly delayed due to Christmas break
The process to access resources after the communication of the decision on allocation is two-fold:
- Awardees are asked to confirm their availability and readiness to use the awarded resources during the stated period of time
- Access is provided after receipt of a positive reply
The allocation decision, including the type of access, start/end dates, duration and the resources awarded is not open for negotiation.
As detailed in the Terms of Reference of the Call for Proposals for Preparatory Access, “the award of Preparatory Access proposals of Types A, B and C is limited by the amount of resources available. For type C, there are also limitations regarding the availability of the support from experts (in terms of staff hours) and the type of expertise required.”
In case of oversubscription of a particular resource, resources will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to suitable proposals based on the submission date until the resources are exhausted.
Please read the Terms of Reference here.