On 9 December 2013, PRACE and XSEDE jointly opened an Invitation to submit Requests for Support for interoperable services between PRACE and XSEDE resources by collaborating teams
PRACE and XSEDE are major Research Infrastructures, providing peer reviewed access to high-end HPC resources and services in Europe and the US, respectively. PRACE and XSEDE have a very successful collaboration on joint organization of an annual HPC Summer School and we are now exploring options to extend our efforts to other activities that effectively support collaborating research teams spanning the US and Europe. One of these options is the provisioning of interoperable services and we invite research teams that are using both infrastructures or will be interested in doing so in the future to express their requirements for such interoperable services.
The two Research Infrastructures will support research teams for setting up the required interoperability if a clear benefit is to be expected from the new facilities. Resource allocations are not part of this call, however allocations for testing purposes will be possible.
This call for requesting support complements the call of last year which was targeted at Expressions of Interest for potential joint allocation of resources. From that call it became clear that there is great interest in the enabling of the interoperable facilities of the two infrastructures. This call will give all interested research teams the opportunity to express their interest in the enhancement of interoperability and indicate interest in collaborative support opportunities with both XSEDE and PRACE.
The XSEDE Senior Management Team and the PRACE Board of Directors invite requests for support for such joint activities by PRACE and XSEDE. The request should target the enhancement of the interoperability between PRACE and XSEDE. The selected proposals will receive support both from PRACE-3IP project and XSEDE in order to improve the interoperability. For testing the implemented solutions on the PRACE and XSEDE systems time can be requested.
Requests for Support should be submitted to prace-xsede[at]prace-ri.eu or prace-xsede[at]xsede.org before 31 January 2014. They should be no longer than two pages and should address the following points.
- Identify the collaborating teams in Europe and the US.
- The technical challenges facing the collaborating teams as justification for suggested activity.
- A list of involved PRACE/XSEDE centres including the confirmation of the feasibility and acceptance of the proposed work
- The justification for access to resources in both the US and Europe, where applicable.
- What effort the collaborating teams can provide to participate in the collaborative support activity and an estimation of expected support.
- Mechanisms for monitoring progress and reviewing outcomes.
Up to three applications may be selected for a supporting period of up to six months starting on 1 April 2014. Each successful application will be supported with up to three person month’s effort provided by PRACE and/or XSEDE personnel.
PRACE and XSEDE will assess the proposals based on the following criteria:
- Potential impact of proposed interoperable service
- Technical feasibility
- Commitment of the proposing groups to contribute to the effort
- Required effort by PRACE and XSEDE teams
Based on this assessment and available resources, PRACE and XSEDE will select applications for support. Applicants will be informed by 15 March 2014 about the result of the assessment, including reasons for selection or rejection.