More attendees, more parallel sessions at PRACEdays17 – all this was successfully embedded as the central event during the 2nd European HPC Summit Week from 16 May to 18 May 2017 in Barcelona, Spain. The fascinating conference included keynotes about European and international HPC strategy, scientific achievements, and industrial applications of HPC. The Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) provided as local host an enjoyable environment and an excellent organisation.
PRACEdays17 was for the second time part of the European HPC Summit Week which offered a large number of interesting workshops from different actors in the HPC eco-system. The entire EHPCSW 2017 welcomed more than 350 attendees and 270 of them participated in PRACEdays17: a significant growth rate in attendance.
The plenary sessions at PRACEdays17 provided the audience a wide range of keynote presentations: from the European Commission on the European Data Infrastructure (EDI) to an international speaker from China on Innovation of Intelligent Manufacturing Driven by Cloud HPC. Several parallel sessions covered a diversity of HPC related topics from leading speakers from science and industry.
One of the highlights during the plenary session on Wednesday was the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between PRACE, RIST (Japan) and XSEDE (USA).
The third day offered the attendees an interesting panel discussion on “Support to HPC code: The gap between scientific code development and exascale technology. The software challenges for extreme scale computing faced by the Community” moderated by Inma Martinez.
PRACEdays17 closed with the traditional Award Session:
- For the first time the PRACE Best Student Poster Award was presented. Martin Vögele (Max Planck Institute of Biophysics) received the prize for his poster entitled “ Finite size effects on the dynamics in simulations of lipid membranes“
- The PRACE Best Poster Award was awarded to Felipe Nathan Oliveira (Barcelona Supercomputing Center) for his poster entitled “Nonlinear electromagnetic stabilization of ITG microturbulence by ICRF-driven fast ions in ASDEX Upgrade“
- Fabien Pierrat (Acobiom) received the PRACE Award for Best Industrial Presentation for his talk on “The MaRS (Matrix of RNA-Seq) Project”
- Alberto Giacomello (Sapienza University of Rome) took home the PRACE Award for Best Scientific Presentation. His talk was entitled “Robust bioinspired surfaces for underwater operation”
- The PRACE Ada Lovelace Award for HPC was officially presented to Frauke Gräter (HITS)
Please read the interesting interview with Frauke Gräter in HPCwire
Serge Bogaerts, Managing Director of PRACE aisbl: “I am delighted to see the PRACE Scientific and Industrial Conference growing each year. I would like to thank all involved – from organisers to attendees – for their support and contribution to making this a successful fourth edition of PRACEdays. I hope to see you all again in Ljubljana next year!”
An overview of PRACEdays17 can be found here.
The presentations of the speakers at PRACEdays17 are available here.
Watch also the PRACEdays17 videos here.
PRACE Organisation and Programme committee (OPC):
Serge Bogaerts (Chair of the PRACEdays17 OPC), Veronica Teodor (Vice-Chair of the PRACEdays17 OPC), Erik Lindahl (Chair of the PRACE SSC), Anders Rhod Gregersen (Chair of the PRACE IAC), Lee Margetts (Vice-Chair of the PRACE IAC), Koen Hillewaert (Chair of the User Forum), Renata Gimenez (local host BSC and EHPCSW), Sara Ibañez (local host BSC and EHPCSW), Marjolein Oorsprong (PRACE aisbl), and Silke Lang (PRACE aisbl)
PRACEdays18 (29 to 31 May 2018) will be part of the European HPC Summit Week 2018 which will be organised in Ljubljana, Slovenia, from 28 May to 1 June 2018 – stay tune